So this is as bad as it gets. A sit-down meeting with the coiffed lady from HR (who is in way over her head and trying to pretend that this is the equivalent of "he grabbed my boob and I'm really upset about it"), the president of the Company, and a Division Chief.
First: they are sorry it took them so long to get back to me. No kidding, right? I was kicked to the curb by the Navy on the 2nd of July. This is the end of October. Nobody at the company has even bothered to respond to an e-mail message since August 31. So a mere four months. Four months when I couldn't do my work, support my programs, or build my portfolio.
Next: I'm a "valued" researcher with "considerable talents" so all I have to do to get let back in is: sign a Written Warning agreeing that I exercised poor judgment and agreeing to certain overreaching and bizarre conditions, including that I do not have contact with anyone in the Dutch Navy, or work in Africa.
If I do not sign this by Monday, November 4, my employment will be immediately terminated.
I cannot agree to this for the following reasons. First and foremost, I cannot agree to a lie. This would compromise my integrity. I have always acted with
excellent judgment and careful consideration of all facts. I am certainly not ashamed of any of my actions and
would repeat them, should the circumstances be the same. Next, I am unable to sign anything that forbids me from contacting
people in the Dutch military or Government. I have half-a-dozen close
personal friends in the Dutch Navy and Marine Corps (one of whom is
staying at my home tomorrow night). Additionally, I continue to
collaborate with the Dutch navy personnel. I just submitted a paper for
publication with a Dutch Marine Corps Major as a co-author. This condition seems wildly over-reaching.
If my company did not want me to contact my Dutch friends for any company project,
this would be fine. But it is bizarre that they should insist I
surrender my friendships as a condition for my employment.
Finally, I am a
subject-matter-expert on African affairs. It is nonsensical, bizarre and
wrong that I should be forbidden from working in my field of expertise.
Not only am I extremely good at my job in this realm, but I care
tremendously about my work.
So Monday is my last day of work. I am so disappointed in my company for doing this. What a cowardly and wrong move.
I tell you this, my watchers, because I want you to know that I continue to retain my integrity. I also want you to know that your illegal and bad actions are affecting a real person. I am not an abstract concept. I am an intelligent, honest, hopeful person who was trying very hard to improve programs in Africa. I was doing incredible things when you decided to harm me. I wish to continue my work. You were looking only to limit your liability and to cover your asses for your illegal privacy invasion. Do you have any understanding that you are not on the side of righteousness? There is no ethical or moral justification for your behavior. You should be ashamed.
Also, I want you to know that you have just given me another reason to come kick your asses. If you were hoping I would go quietly into the dark night, you were painfully mistaken.
No comments:
Post a Comment